A Quick and Easy dress

As in I needed a break from all the hand finishing woven fabric requires!

Pattern: New Look 6936, knee length with the flutter sleeve

Fabric: 1/2 yd remnant of leopard print cotton jersey and 1 & 1/4 yds of black cotton jersey. To make it fit, I only cut the front bodice on the remnant so the bodice back is solid black. Here’s a better shot with my son where you can see the back of the sleeve.

The remnant was a lighter weight and didn’t behave on my standard machine, but the other worked beautifully. The v-neck stretched out a bit, so I made my first attempt to use clear plastic elastic to fix it. Ugh.

The neckline went from saggy baggy elephant to properly sized ripply mess. This is the best shot I could get of the ripples.  I have never sewn with clear plastic elastic, but I have read a blog post or two about it. I tried to sew it up like its white old-school cousin. I taught my son’s sleeping subconscious a few choice words during this process. I should also mention that I didn’t read any tutorials on how to do this. I was a little disgusted because the entire dress was finished, hem and all, when I went back to add this stuff in. Luckily my husband assured me no one would notice, so I took a deep breath, put down the seam ripper and called it done.

Another fun fact: Other than length adjustments at the hem, I made no alterations to this pattern tissue! I made a straight 18 and it worked. Happiness! The biggest change was adding a back facing (and in retrospect I should have tried one on the front too). I’ll post a “how to make facing the easy way” tutorial soon.