Moto Jacket with the finishing touches

I am so happy with my jacket!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Finished Moto Jacket (B6169 by Lisette)!

In my last post, I was just about finished with the shell. Here’s the some of the sewing highlights and fitting issues.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
The lining went together per the directions on the Lisette blog’s sew-a-long posts. I love the color contrast with the marsala/maroon red rayon lining!
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Then, two became one. I tried to “bag out” the lining as the blog directed, however I couldn’t. When I stitched the sport zipper in, I top-stitched at that time. The top-stitching is part of the bag out lining step, which would connect the lining facing to the jacket using a zipper foot around the zipper. Rather than ripping out the top-stitching, I only stitched above and below the zipper, leaving the rest of the seam open. I tried to show that by turned the interfaced facing to the camera.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
To finish the lining attachment, I had to hand stitch the facing along the edge of the zipper.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Ultimately, I had to also hand stitch the lining hems to the jacket hems, which added a lot of time and a pretty ease pleat. I also has a little trouble with the facing edge around the bottom of the inseam portion of the zipper. It was impossible to finish the hems as described on the blog. I think the problems I had came from using a Sport zipper. Can’t believe that zipper change cost almost 2 hours of extra work!
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
As per Liesl’s comment on my last post about the boxy nature of the jacket, I inserted the shoulder pads and lining before trying to fit again. As you can see, there was a lot of excess around the hems. In the end, I had to take out 5.5+ inches. 1 inch in the front was completely my mistake from my FBA. The rest was ease in the pattern (size 20 as per my waist measurement). I took another 1 out of the side front panels, 2 out of the side back panels, and 3/4 at each side back princess seam at the waist and tapering above and below like a fish-eye dart.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
And after all the fitting, I am much happier! I left some of the ease in the shoulders because I wanted the freedom to move. At this point, I could give someone a bear hug or do yoga in this jacket.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Finally, finished side front around my curves. I am sorry for the photo quality. I won’t be seeing my friend who helps me take pictures until tomorrow. I was so excited, I couldn’t wait. I’ll probably post some nicer finished photos tomorrow.

I really enjoyed this sew-a-long. I am considering sewing up the fit-and-flare dress that Lisette is hosting a sew-a-long for next week. We’ll see. I have so many things I want to sew, but I really need some tops.