Simplicity 8600 Pattern Review

Hello dear reader,

Today I am reviewing Simplicity 8600 blouse pattern. This is the pattern I chose for my blouse course and sew-a-long because it has great teaching elements.

The best part of this blouse to me is the placket. It is a construction step that will stretch a beginner’s sewing skill. It is also the first step. If it goes wonky, a new front and placket could be re-cut without losing the entire project. The placket is in two parts: the front neck facing and the placket. I’ve seen some plackets that are sewn all in one and those are clunky and more difficult. This one really allows a beginner to break it down and complete the challenge successfully.

The rest of the directions are straight foward and fairly well-illustrated. The fit is very forgiving and very comfortable. As an apple/pear, this version has eye catching details at the neckline and hem (the best for me) while loosely gliding over my tummy (my worst area post-twins).

I have already cut out the tank version, so I will be making this again. I am using a drapey rayon next. If I make the sleeves again (maybe as a dress?) I’m thinking about reducing the volume around the arms a bit and shortening them to above the elbow. Maybe a belt?

Anyway, I have started a Pinterest Board specifically for this pattern with ideas on how to modify it for a variety of looks and seasons.

I am also hosting a sew-a-long after my in-person class so students can have a chance to make it over again and collaborate with each other. Feel free to join the group for video tips and other shared resources via my new Facebook Page!

The details:

  • Simplicity 8600 blouses
  • Size range 6-14 & 14-22
  • I cut out a size size 20 bust and 22 hip. B cup
  • My measurements are 42″ bust and 50″ hip
  • I only graded the side seams for my hips and removed the bottom hem to use the fabric’s fancy border.
  • It is a lightweight embroidered border cotton I found in Hobby Lobby’s spring apparel bolts.
  • The border layout with sleeves and this fabric took 3 yards (fabric hog pattern) BUT when I cut out the printed rayon it was far more reasonable in terms of fabric needed.